Soil description & analysis
Missouri Western State UniversityAuthor Profile
Used this activity? Share your experiences and modifications
The students pull soil cores in a transect across a hill. They describe the horizons and create a fence diagram, then determine the maturity of the soil & relate it to the climate & geologic history of the area.
Undergraduate service course (non-majors gen ed), physical geology
Skills and concepts that students must have mastered
The soil profile, factors controlling soil formation.
How the activity is situated in the course
A single lab exercise, fits into a two-hour lab period.
Content/concepts goals for this activity
- Formation of a soil catena
- Climate, weathering & soil development
Higher order thinking skills goals for this activity
- Translating data into a fence diagram
- Synthesis of material from separate course lectures with focused real world observations
Other skills goals for this activity
- Presenting data in a spreadsheet, visually as a figure and as a written description
- Working in groups
Description of the activity/assignment
Students will have been through lectures on weathering & erosion, sediments and soils. Students go to the field and pull soil cores across a hill. They describe & measure the horizons, determine soil texture and structure. Using the data, they create a fence diagram and verbally describe what they see. Then they relate the changes in the soil profile downhill to climate, weathering, and the local geology. Students get to learn how to express information in multiple ways & make connections between "different" lecture topics, creating a continuity in the class.
Determining whether students have met the goals
If the verbal description & fence diagram match their data & what would be expected. Does the evaluation of soil maturity reflect what they have learned in class.More information about assessment tools and techniques.
Download teaching materials and tips
- Activity Description/Assignment:Soil description & Analysis (Microsoft Word 399kB Apr11 10)
- Instructors Notes:Pre-lab reminder slides (PowerPoint 1.9MB Apr11 10)
- Solution Set: