Rock-Tectonics synthesis lab
This activity has benefited from input from faculty educators beyond the author through a review and suggestion process.
This review took place as a part of a faculty professional development workshop where groups of faculty reviewed each others' activities and offered feedback and ideas for improvements. To learn more about the process On the Cutting Edge uses for activity review, see http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/review.html.
This page first made public: May 16, 2008
Skills and concepts that students must have mastered
- how to identify plate boundary types and to understand what geological activity is taking places at these boundaries
- how to identify some basic rock types
- the relative age principles of superposition and baked contacts.
How the activity is situated in the course
Content/concepts goals for this activity
Higher order thinking skills goals for this activity
Other skills goals for this activity
Description of the activity/assignment
Determining whether students have met the goals
Download teaching materials and tips
- (Note: the first page of the assignment is meant to help guide the instructor. Make sure to delete it before creating the student handouts) Activity Description/Assignment (Microsoft Word 43kB Jul16 08)
- Instructors Notes (Microsoft Word 28kB May5 08)
- Solution Set (Microsoft Word 36kB May5 08)
- sample quiz (Microsoft Word 28kB Jul16 08)