February 2010 Chile Earthquake and TsunamiCompiled by John McDaris, SERC.
Browse the complete set of Visualization Collections. If you have comments or additional resources to add to the page, use our Feedback box to let us know.
Jump Down To: Teaching Activities and materials
Visualizations and Media ReportsUSGS Maps of the Earthquake: This page houses maps of the earthquake at the USGS Earthquake Hazards Program. Also available are geographic details about the quake, a tectonic summary of the locale, and scientific information about the quake.
Infrastructure Spares Chile: This is an interview with Mike Blanpied of the USGS on CNN's The Situation Room. Blanpied discusses the quake and how Chile's modern infrastructure may be the thing that spared it the same casualty count as occurred in Port au Prince Haiti.
CNN Chile Earthquake: Photos: This image gallery from CNN shows some of the aftermath of the massive temblor.
Chile, Haiti Quakes Explained: In this interview from NPR's All Thing Considered, Walter Mooney, a seismologist with the U.S. Geological Survey, explains the differences between the two quakes. Audio and a transcript are available.
These teaching materials have to do with earthquakes in general or the Chile earthquake specifically.
- IRIS Teachable Moment: This page from IRIS compiles a number of links to various materials including a powerpoint that educators can use in the classroom.
- Two Earthquake in Two Months: Comparing the quakes in Haiti and Chile: This activity published on the NY Times Learning Network blog asks students to investigate the differences and similarities between these two major quakes and their effects.
- Teach the Earth SiteGuide on Earthquakes: This SiteGuide points to areas around the Teach the Earth site that have collections of earthquake resources.
- Earthquake Activities on Teach the Earth: Teach the earth contains more than 200 teaching activities having to do with earthquakes.
- DataSheet: Exploring Seismology in the Classroom Using the USGS Earthquake Hazards Program Data
- DataSheet: Exploring Broadband Seismic Data in the Classroom