Calculating Safe Medication Dose Ranges: Learning Practice Activities
as part of its collaboration with the SERC Pedagogic Service.
Calculating a safe medication dose range is just one example of a real world complex problem of medication administration. The skill requires the learner to interpret information in a drug handbook and apply the knowledge to a medication order with consideration of the patient's age, weight, and medical condition.
This learning activity is designed to give nursing students confidence and skill with calculating safe dose medication ranges used in the clinical setting. The learner will be introduced to concept with a short tutorial, a Flash interactive learning module and an Excel workbook to check their answers. This learning activity is appropriate for students in LPN and RN nursing programs.
Learners will have an opportunity to apply knowledge with drill and practice examples.
- Interpret medication administration safe dose ranges identified in a drug handbook.
- Identify pertinent data that must be considered for calculating a safe dose range
- Demonstrate competency calculating an individual drug dose.
- Demonstrate competency interpreting whether or not to administer a drug based on the amount of drug prescribed for an individual dose or amount prescribed over a 24-hour period.
Context for Use
Another use is as a remediation tool for students who demonstrate difficulty understanding concepts associated with calculating and interpreting safe dose ranges for medications.
I use the resource in a NCLEX prep course for remediation learning.
Description and Teaching Materials
There is also an optional print version of the quiz formatted as a Microsoft Word document and an associated answer sheet. The instructor, to meet classroom-learning outcomes, can modify the print version of the quiz easily.
- Calculating Safe Medication Dose Range: A Short Tutorial (Rich Text File 70kB Aug30 09)
- Flash Learning Activities (Zip Archive 169kB Aug30 09)
- Calculating Safe Dose Ranges - Print Quiz for Students (Rich Text File 54kB Aug30 09)
- Calculating Safe Dose Ranges - Print Quiz for Instructors (Rich Text File 51kB Aug30 09)
- Excel Workbook to Check Answers for Safe Dose Ranges (Excel 68kB Aug30 09)
Teaching Notes and Tips
The zipped Flash module consists of three files. When using the Flash module on a web page or learning management system, upload all three files, but link to the file that ends with .htm. Students should be instructed to use the Excel workbook to check their calculations.
- Formative assessment using a multiple-choice quiz with knowledge and application questions.
- Demonstrated competency in the learning lab setting.
- Demonstrated competency in the clinical patient setting.
- Summative assessment on a unit exam.
References and Resources
Additional Practice Quizzes
- Calculating Dose by Weight - designed by Jewett Johnson, has a 20-item quiz with answers.
- Med Calc for Nurses - designed by Connie Houser, has a 20-item quiz with answers.