Focus Group 2: Instructors: Course and Curriculum Development for a Diverse Geoscience Workforce
August 5-7, 2015
Topics to be Addressed
1. Current state
- What instructional resources do instructors utilize?
- How do instructors identify/find resources?
- What are the challenges associated with the resources that instructors are utilizing?
- What resources have instructors found that work for particular underrepresented groups?
2. Desired state
- What resources do instructors need?
- What are barriers to utilizing innovative resources for instructors at 2YCs/MSIs?
- What are ways these resources could best reach instructors at 2YCs/MSIs?
- What professional development would be necessary to utilize new resources? What delivery mechanism for this PD would best fit your needs?
- What administrator "buy-in" would be needed to utilize innovative resources?
- What would be needed to sustain new programs, curricula, and resources once developed?
3. Closing the Gap - Models of Effective Geoscience Instruction at 2YCs/MSIs
- What institutional partnerships or collaborations would you or your students find beneficial?
- What, if any, are the challenges associated with these partnerships/collaborations?
- What incentives exist (or could exist) to foster collaborations between employers and 2YCs/MSIs? Between 2YCs, MSIs, and other types of institutions?
4. Pulling it Together: A Model for Sustainable Geoscience Instruction at 2YCs/MSIs
- What types of opportunities are most feasible for broadening geoscience instruction at 2YCs/MSIs?
- What next steps are needed to implement these models?