A Focus on the Geoscience (and STEM) Professions
Geoscience Professional Society Programs and Diversity
Useful programs and resources from geoscience professional societies include:
- Geological Society of America position statement on Expanding and Improving Geoscience in Higher Education.
- American Geosciences Institute's Geosciences Currents has a wealth of information about diversity and workforce:
- AGI Workforce Program--includes a wealth of information about career paths, profiles of professional geoscientists, workforce data, and other professional development resources.
- Challenges Recent Graduates Overcame to Complete Degree
- Underrepresented Minority Participation in the Geosciences at the Two-year College Level
- AGI Currents Documents on Diversity--7 reports on demographic data regarding the geoscience workforce.
- American Geophysical Union (AGU) Diversity Programs; AGU Bright Stars Program for middle and high school students participating in after-school and summer research experiences in the Earth and space sciences.
- Marketing Earth Science Education -- Snieder, R., and C. Spiers, Eos Trans. AGU, 8312, 131, 2002
Professional Societies that Support Students From Underrepresented Groups in STEM
- Institute for Broadening Participation
- Pathways to Science -- Use this website to find programs such as undergraduate summer research opportunities, graduate fellowships, postdoctoral positions, as well as resources and materials pertaining to recruitment, retention, and mentoring.
- SACNAS -- Society for Advancing Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science
- National Association of Black Geologists