Focus Group 4: Geoscience Education Research on Broadening Participation in the Geoscience Workforce
August 9-11, 2015
Topics to be Addressed
1. Current State
- What are the gaps in the existing research related to recruitment/retention of students that are URM in the geosciences? (ex. longitudinal studies of recruitment/retention, studies of culturally-responsive curriculum, meta-analysis of successful programs, etc.)
What are the barriers to doing trustworthy and culturally-appropriate research with 2YCs/MSIs and URM students?
2. Desired State
- What does the GER community need to better engage in research on participation of students that are URM in the geosciences?
- What are the mechanisms to promote a greater quantity and quality of research on these issues?
- How can research inform activities to improve participation of students URM in the geosciences?
3. Closing the Gap
- How do 2YCs/MSIs and URM students benefit from participation in research?
- What resources are needed to strengthen and expand research on participation in the geosciences?
4. Pulling it Together: A Model for GER on Broadening Participation in the Geoscience Workforce
- What steps are needed to implement a coherent research agenda on URM participation in the geoscience workforce that benefits researchers, 2YC/MSI institutions, and research participants?