E-Compete supports the students and team leaders in the MATE ROV Competition
Evaluate-Compete, or E-Compete, provides an objective assessment of the value of team competition experiences by documenting student growth in critical academic and workforce-related knowledge and skills without placing a significant evaluation burden on students or team leaders.
- A detailed, reliable evaluation of general and ROV-specific outcomes
- An evaluation method that enhances student learning and ROV advisor mentoring
- Automatically generated data and statistics that can be used to share impact of participating on an ROV team with others
Why use E-Compete?
Benefits to Students
- Helps students learn and practice the discipline of realistic self-assessment
- Introduced to a comprehensive list of competencies and skills
- Gain experience communicating with others
- Gain confidence and greater self-awareness as they track their growth
Benefits to Team Leaders
- More consistent and reliable assessments of their students' academic strengths and weaknesses
- Helps focus their mentoring efforts on specific areas where students may need extra guidance
- Compliments and enhances the mentoring process
- Works for new and experienced team leaders
How does E-Compete work?
- Initial reflection where student has the opportunity to share their thoughts about research with their mentor
- Assessments given before, during, and at the end of the competition
- Conversations between students and leaders after each assessment
- Reports that provide the students/ and leaders' scores on the individual assessment components
- Automated messages and a dashboard provides easy tracking of completion of E-Compete
- All responses collected are readily available in .csv format for easy reporting, use and local data management.
- All students and leaders set up an account with username and password to ensure privacy. Team Leaders have the ability to view student progress as part of tracking the implementation of E-Compete.
- Data is stored in the EvaluateUR Methods system only during the implementation period (available for download within one year of initiating E-Compete use). Read more about our practices across all methods:
How do I get started with E-Compete?
Start by signing your team up to pilot E-Compete:
If you have questions about E-Compete or the implementation of your specific program, don't hesitate to ask.
This material is based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under Grants No. 1932929 and 1932940 Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.