About the Method
The EvaluateUR method enables colleges to improve student outcomes by incorporating evaluation directly into the undergraduate research process. The method yields:
- Statistically reliable measures of student learning growth in academic subjects
- Students alerted to the many "soft" skills essential for academic and workplace success
- Assessments of student growth in soft skills
- Student understanding of their academic strengths and weaknesses and the identification of strategies for improvement
- Up to 11 student outcome categories View all Outcomes
- Option to add up to 3 additional outcomes
- Each outcome category delineated by distinct components that measure specific outcome objectives
- Repeated assessments to track student progress over time
- Independent faculty/mentor assessments and student self-assessments using identical instruments
- Student-faculty/mentor conversations to improve student's metacognitive insights into their academic strengths and weaknesses
- Online assessments of learning outcomes
- Automated emails prompt students and faculty/mentors to complete assessments or meet as their work progresses
- Online dashboard for keeping track of progress through evaluation steps
- Implementation advice and resources
- Built-in statistical packages for understanding evaluation data
- Metacognitive exercises to enhance student learning
The Importance of Metacognition
Evaluate-UR encourages students to be aware of what learning strategies they employ and why. They can use that awareness to make intentional adjustments that enable them to learn more effectively. This cycle of self-awareness, adjustment and renewed self-evaluation, or metacognition, is perhaps the most important benefit that students can take away from their Evaluate-UR experience.
Studies show that the EvaluateUR Method benefits students, mentors and programs through improved metacognitive skills and mentorship, as well as statistically reliable data.
Read more: Why the EvaluateUR Method is effective
View peer-reviewed articles: Publications
Secure data storage
We provide secure data storage and follow protocol for exemption from Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval.
Learn more about Security and IRB Approval for the EvaluateUR Method.
More about each version of the EvaluateUR Method:
This material is based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under Grants No. 1347681, 1347727, 1836033, 1932929, and 1932940. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.