By January 24, 2018:
- Register for the institute. Note that all accepted applicants need to register, and the registration form is not the same form as the application form that you have already filled out.
- If you are coming from out of town, be sure you have made travel and lodging arrangements. These will not be provided by the Institute.
- You will need a laptop or tablet that can connect to wifi during the Institute and that can open doc files and access the web via a browser. If you do not have access to a laptop, please contact Erin Dolan at email@example.com.
By February 1, 2017:
- Submit your Research Ideas. The Institute will be most useful if you have already given some thought to the research focus and scope of your CURE.
If you haven't settled on a specific research project, please bring two or three options that you have explored. If you need help finding or selecting a project, you could explore project options through:
- CUREnet ( This site may be offline. ) , which has mostly life science projects
- Community College Undergraduate Research Initiative , which has mostly life science projects
- Freshman Research Initiatives:
- University of Texas Austin , which has a range of STEM CUREs
- University of Maryland College Park , which has CUREs in the natural and social sciences and humanities
- Binghamton University , which has CUREs in natural and social sciences and engineering
- Vertically Integrated Projects (VIP) Program , which has mostly engineering projects with some interdisciplinary projects involving natural and social sciences
- Your favorite education journal
You could also contact people in your field to see if you can get involved in their research – this can be your graduate or postdoctoral advisor, a colleague, or a researcher at an institution near you that is doing interesting research. See Table 3 of this paper from Hatfull and colleagues, which outlines seven attributes of research projects that are thought to make them logistically feasible as CUREs.
Before arriving at the Institute:
- Please remember to bring a laptop or tablet that can open doc files and access the web via wifi.