This is a partially developed activity description. It is included in the collection because it contains ideas useful for teaching even though it is incomplete.
Seafloor Sediment Thickness VariabilityAndrew Goodwillie, Chris Condit, Pat Kennelly, Warren Tomkiewicz, Mark Leckie, Ed Nuhfer, Mark Abolins, Lensyl Urbano, Jose Hurtado, Ned Gardiner, Gareth Fanning, Elli Goeke, and Glenn Richard
Topic: world ocean
Course Type: intro
Series of questions based on sediment thickness data in GeoMapApp. Questions for the students to explore in groups either in class or as homework:
1) Where is sediment cover the thickest?
2) Where is sediment cover the thinnest?
3) Any relationship between sediment cover and seafloor age?
4) Any relationship between sediment cover and proximity to continents?
5) Propose a hypothesis to explain the explored variability.
Exploration of online digital data. Studying relationships between different variables including erosion and seafloor spreading. Critical thinking. Team work.
Have students report on their findings. Compare hypotheses and discuss.