Resource Type: Course Information
Grade Level: College Lower (13-14)
Earth System Topics: Oceans
Theme: Teach the Earth:Teaching Environments:Intro Geoscience, Teach the Earth:Course Topics:Oceanography
The students will be able to
- analyze depth data and draw a contour map of seafloor bathymetry.
- predict the evolution of ocean basins forward and backward in time if given a tectonic map with magnetic lineations.
- predict the sediment composition of any spot on the seafloor.
- predict the areas of the ocean with greatest productivity.
- evaluate the behavior of a seawater component based on calculating its residence time.
- evaluate the effect on an ecosystem of removing (hunting/overfishing) one member.
- evaluate the scientific merit of a news story on human impacts on the ocean.
How course activities and course structure help students achieve these goals: