Introduction to Google Earth
University of Wisconsin OshkoshAuthor Profile
Used this activity? Share your experiences and modifications
Students utilize a variety of tools in Google Earth to answer questions
The activity is used in an online undergraduate introductory physical geography course. The focus of the course is landforms and soils. The course is predominantly composed of non-majors.
Skills and concepts that students must have mastered
How the activity is situated in the course
This is a stand-alone exercise that introduces students to tools and functions in Google Earth that will be utilized in subsequent exercises.
Content/concepts goals for this activity
- Become familiar with Google Earth to explore and analyze the physical geography of a location
- Navigate to a location using a variety of techniques
- Analyze geographic and geomorphic properties of a location
- Incorporate external data into Google Earth
Higher order thinking skills goals for this activity
Other skills goals for this activity
Description of the activity/assignment
This is a basic introductory online exercises that introduces students to tools and functions within Google Earth that will be utilized in subsequent exercises throughout the semester. Students use Google Earth to navigate to a location and between locations, incorporate data layers, create topographic profiles, and measure slope and distance.
Determining whether students have met the goals
Students complete the exercise during the week it is assigned. Upon completion of the laboratory exercise, students must complete an online quiz that consists of a selection of the same questions in the exercise. The online quiz is within the Desire 2 Learn (D2L) online learning platform, so answers are automatically graded and imported into the student's grade book.More information about assessment tools and techniques.
Download teaching materials and tips
- Activity Description/Assignment: Introduction to Google Earth exercise (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 27kB Nov23 14)
- Instructors Notes: This exercise was developed for an online class and intended for students to work independently. There are several other similar introduction to Google Earth exercises available online, but none were comprehensive enough for my course. I developed this exercise to introduce students to the functions in Google Earth that they will be using to complete laboratory exercises throughout the semester.
- Solution Set: Introduction to Google Earth answer key (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 28kB Nov23 14)