This workshop has already taken place.
This will be a highly interactive workshop with ample opportunity to engage in discussion about including geodesy content across subject areas, to put geoscience context around your own geodetic exercises, and to apply innovative teaching techniques to 'old' content. You will work with others on an activity from your own course. At the end of the day, we will come to some consensus on which geodesy content should or could be included in undergraduate introductory geology courses.
- Learn about applications of geodesy and about effective teaching techniques, and identify areas of incorporation in their own teaching
- Modify an existing course component into an engaging learning activity which incorporates context and geodesy content
- Identify aspects of geodesy to be incorporated into introductory college level geology education as a group
- Become and continue to be part of a community of faculty using geodesy in undergraduate curriculum
Monday, March 8th, 2010, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
What are the participants expected to do:
Before the workshop:
- By Friday, Feb. 26
- By Friday, March 5th:
- Submit a teaching activity to this workshop's website at: Activity Submission Form.
- Submit a course syllabus (if you have one; optional but encouraged) at: Syllabus Submission Form
- Fill out this Form even if you don't submit a syllabus.
- By Monday, March 8th:
During the workshop - participate in all sessions of the day, complete activities and activity reviews
After the workshop - contribute modified materials to the workshop website
Costs / Financial Support
The workshop is being supported by UNAVCO and is therefore free of cost to participants. Hotel and transportation are generally not provided, however, a stipend is available to some faculty who are teaching.
Application and Selection Criteria
Members of the UNAVCO community are eligible to participate in the workshop. Other interested faculty or college-level teachers should contact us about participating (see information below).
The workshop will take place in central Boulder at the:
Millenium Harvest House, 1345 28th Street, Boulder, CO 80302 (303) 443-3850.
See the Logistics page for more information.