Special Concerns for Large Classes
Case Method teaching can be used effectively in large classes, but requires some modifications.
- First, break the case and the class into parts. If the students meet in smaller groups with TA's, use those as your smaller groups.
- Assign one section of the case to each group, and address questions about the case to that group
- Keep the rest of the class interested by asking them to provide comments in response to the "main" group's remarks
- Discuss the case during more than one class period to give more students time to participate
- If you have TA's meeting with students, have some preliminary discussion take place there
- Use one-minute papers and other written responses to get all of the students tied into the discussion