Microbial Life and Astrobiology - General Collection
This collection features resources such as news articles, web sites, and reference pages that provide a comprehensive array of information about Microbial Life and Astrobiology.
One of the Hubble Space Telescope's most famous images is this view of the Eagle Nebula. Known as the "Pillars of Creation," they reveal the birth of dozens of stars emerging from compact pockets of interstellar gas called evaporating gas globules (EGGs). Image credit: Jeff Hester and Paul Scowen (Arizona State University), and NASA.
The Field of Astrobiology
- Astrobiology Magazine. Astrobiology Magazine is an online service that provides summaries of scientific articles relevant to astrobiology. Specific topics include microbiology, paleontology, astronomy, climate history, planetary studies...(more info)
- Astrobiology Roadmap. This NASA Astrobiology Roadmap outlines multiple pathways for research and exploration and indicates how they might be prioritized and coordinated. The roadmap embodies the...(more info)
- The Astrobiology Web. This site contains astrobiology news and links about: astrochemistry, bioinformatics, biosatellites, gravitational biology, hydrothermal vent communities...(more info)
- NASA Astrobiology Institute. This site provides information on NAI research, a library of publications, sections for teachers and students, and an Ask An Expert section. The student section features...(more info)
- NASA Astrobiology Portal. This web site, hosted by NASA Ames Research Center, provides a portal to NASA's astrobiology program. It features astrobiology announcements, events, societal...(more info)
Microbial Life and Astrobiology in the News
- Antarctic Microbes Colonize under Mars-like Conditions. This on-line news article takes a look at Antarctic biology over the last 20 years, highlighting the recent discovery of microbes that occupy one of the closest Mars-...(more info)
- Conan the Bacterium. This on-line news article reveals the defense strategy of radiation-resistant Deinococcus radiodurans to be a tightly packed ring of DNA. The article explores the ...(more info)
- Microbes on Earth May Be Key To Identifying Life On Other Planets. This site features a short article where Bruce Fouke of University of Illinois studies microbe metabolism in Mammoth Hot Springs of Yellowstone National Park for...(more info)
- Salt of the Early Earth. This astrobiology news article analyzes the role salt played in the evolution of life on Earth. It explains why scientists have long assumed that life originated in the...(more info)
- Utah Microbes Point to Mars. This news article introduces the microbial halophiles of the Great Salt Lake. Featuring scientist Bonnie Baxter, the article explores the use of extremophile research in...(more info)
Other Astrobiology Collections
Advanced Collection: Compiled for professionals and advanced learners, this collection includes resources such as journals, academic reviews, and surveys.
For Educators: This collection includes activities, assignments, and reading materials created specifically for educators.
For additional resources about Microbial Life and Astrobiology, search the Microbial Life collection.