Astrobiology in the Classroom
This collection features activities, assignments, and reading materials created specifically for educators wishing to bring astrobiology into the classroom.
A NASA artist imagines the Mars exploration rovers Spirit and Opportunity look like this on the Red Planet. Spirit landed in Gusev Crater on January 4, 2004. Opportunity landed on Meridiani Planum on January 25, 2004. Image credit: NASA/JPL.
- The Astrobiology Curriculum. This site is a preview version of the Astrobiology Curriculum, an interdisciplinary year-long course for middle and high school students developed by TERC and...(more info)
- Building a Winogradsky Column: An Educator Guide with Activities in Astrobiology. This 27-page educator guide is a NASA Quest resource about Microbial Ecology and related Astrobiology activities. Students will construct a Winogradsky Column to observe...(more info)
- Life on Earth...and Elsewhere? The hands-on activities in this Educator Resource Guide lay the conceptual groundwork for understanding the field of astrobiology. What is Life? What does Life need to...(more info)
- Who Can Live Here? Life in Extreme Environments. Astrobiology in the Classroom leads students in the exploration of the limits of life on Earth to extend their beliefs about life to include its possibility on other... (more info)
- Bacteria Ballistics: On August 7, 1996, a chunk of rock made front-page news. It was a meteorite from Mars that was believed to contain fossils of one-celled life forms. Although that particular claim is still the subject of much debate, scientists are still intrigued by the possibility that microbes from Mars may have once seeded the Earth. In this Science Update, you'll hear about an unusual experiment that could help provide the answer.
Other Astrobiology Collections
General Collection: Resources such as news articles, web sites, and reference pages provide a comprehensive array of information about Microbial Life and Astrobiology.
Advanced Collection: Compiled for professionals and advanced learners, this collection includes resources such as journal articles, academic reviews, and surveys.
For additional resources about Microbial Life and Astrobiology, search the Microbial Life collection.