A part of the SERC Teacher Professional Development Program Collection
Photo courtesy of SF-ROCKS
Summer Teacher Workshop for SF-ROCKS (Reaching Out to Communities and Kids with Science in San Francisco)
Audience: 9th grade teachers
Lisa White, Ph.D.
Project Director, Principal Investigator, (Contact Info)
Department of Geosciences at San Francisco State University
This workshop serves as a training institute for 9th grade science teachers who are new to the SF-ROCKS program. During the workshop, geoscience faculty introduce the SF-ROCKS lesson plans and projects. Teachers learn how the SF-ROCKS program works, investigate the three main lesson units ('The Watershed', 'Rocks, Plate Tectonics, and Geologic Mapping', and 'The Rain Gauge Project'), and participate in field trips where they collect samples and learn to use the materials.
Resources about the development and design of the SF-ROCKS program are also available.
How is the program structured?
The SF-ROCKS website contains the outline and associated links for this professional development workshop. Teachers work with faculty and students throughout the week, learning about the available lesson plans and other resources that SF-ROCKS provides. Teachers also collect samples while on field trips and perform analyses in the same manner that they will have their own students perform.
The teaching materials used in this workshop are those lesson plans developed by the SF-ROCKS program. These can be found and downloaded from their lesson plans webpage.
Who is involved?
How is the program evaluated?
References and Notes:
- SF-ROCKS: Reaching out to Communities and Kids with Science in San Francisco by L. White et al. (2004) GSA Today, vol. 14, no. 2, p. 10.
- Reaching Out to Communities and Kids with Science by L. White et al. (2003) GeoTimes, vol. 48, no. 9.
- Dr. Lisa White gave an invited poster at the Fall 2002 AGU Meeting on SF-ROCKS: Reaching Out to Communities and Kids With Science in San Francisco.
- Dr. Karen Grove gave an invited talk at the Fall 2003 AGU Meeting on Faculty Activity to Reach Consensus and Develop the SF-ROCKS Outreach Program.
- A poster session at the Fall 2004 AGU Meeting was devoted to Bright STaRS: High School Students Training as Research Scientists. Specifically, students from SF-ROCKS participated in abstracts ED43A-0262, ED43A-0264, ED43A-0268, and ED43A-0270.
- A poster session at the Fall 2003 AGU Meeting was devoted to The Next Generation: Research Projects of High School-Aged Geoscientists. Specifically, students from SF-ROCKS participated in abstracts ED42A-1202, ED42A-1203, ED42A-1204, and ED42A-1205.