Teacher Preparation > Supporting Practicing Teachers > Browse Professional Development Programs > Carleton College Teaching Licensure Program for Earth and Space Science

A part of the SERC Teacher Professional Development Program Collection

Page prepared for SERC by Aleshia Mueller in consultation with Mary Savina.
student teaching
A student in Carleton's Teaching Licensure Program engaged in student teaching experience.

Earth and Space Science Teacher Licensure Program at Carleton College

Program URL: http://www.carleton.edu/departments/edst/licensure/index.html
Program Type:

Program Size:
One geology student completes this program every 2-3 years.
Grade Level:
The licensure received is a combination of licenses that allows the recipient to teach 5-12 grade science, more specifically, they can teach General science to 5-8 grade and Earth and Space Science to 9-12 grade.

Deborah Appleman, Ph.D. (Contact Info)
Educational Studies at Carleton College

Program Summary

This program considers teaching to be a liberal art which integrates a student's academic major, coursework in educational studies, and a closely-monitored student teaching experience. Upon completion of the program, students are qualified for a teaching license in most states. This program is accredited by the Minnesota Department of Education and is in full compliance with federal Title II regulations for disclosure of state-mandated examination pass rates. Since the inception of the federal Title II reporting requirement in 1999, Carleton licensure candidate pass rates continue to be 100% for all areas.

See profiles of other affiliated programs.

How is the program structured?

Students who wish to obtain a teaching license must formally apply to the Teacher Education Committee for admission to the teacher education program. Students are strongly recommended to apply during fall term of their junior year, but applications will be considered through, but no later than, the fall term of their senior year. Students must provide all of the application materials and meet the candidate requirements before being considered for approval.

The following application materials must be submitted to the Educational Studies Department.

  • application form
  • major faculty recommendation
  • educational studies faculty recommendation
  • program completion checklist (specific to each student's major)
  • license program planning form
  • a recent transcript

Successful candidats need to meet the following requirements.

  • Overall GPA of 2.25
  • 2.5 GPA in major
  • At least forty (40) hours of documented instructional field experience with children/adolescents in an instructional setting
  • Formal application
  • Disciplinary records review
  • Interview with one member of the Teacher Education Committee and one educational studies faculty member
  • Formal approval by the non-student members of the Teacher Education Committee

Upon acceptance to the program, students must fulfill the following requirements in order to obtain their teaching license.

Upon denial or deferral of admission to the Teacher Education Program or student teaching placement, the student may appear in person before the Teacher Education Committee for reconsideration.

The small size of the Carleton College Educational Studies Department sometimes prevents all courses from being offered every year. Completing licensure requirements in addition to or in combination with other Carleton requirements requires careful advance planning; therefore, the earlier a potential candidate seeks information, the easier it is to develop a good program.

The Educational Studies Department will work closely with students to plan their schedule so that they will be able to meet all of the requirements listed below.

Freshman Year

Discuss your teaching interests with at least one member of the Educational Studies Department as soon as possible. Places are reserved in Introduction to Educational Studies (110) each year for first year students. Other required courses open to first-year students are Educational Psychology (234) and Multicultural Education (238).

Sophomore Year

We strongly recommend that you take Philosophies of Education (240) or Schooling and Opportunity (353). You may also take Multicultural Education (238) or Educational Psychology (234).

Junior Year

You should apply to the teacher licensure program during your junior year (see requirements for admission). Once you are admitted to the program, you will be assigned an educational studies advisor who, in cooperation with your major advisor, will help you with program planning, completion of requirements for both graduation and teacher licensure, and student teaching placement.

Take an additional requirement for philosophical or sociological foundations by taking two of the following three courses, Philosophies of Education (240), Multicultural Education (238), or Schooling and Opportunity (353). You may also take Teaching Exceptional Student (254) if you have already taken Educational Psychology (234).

Senior Year

Take a science teaching methods course. Student teaching placement is begun in preparation for spring term Schooling and Community (385), which integrates community service in the vicinity of your student teaching school into your teacher preparation. You should also register to take the state-required Praxis tests.

Students who complete the Carleton program are advised to apply for a Minnesota license upon graduation and completion of student teaching regardless of whether they plan to postpone teaching for several years or to teach in another state. Licensure by the Minnesota Board of Teaching is contingent upon recommendation by the Educational Studies Department at Carleton College. All completed forms for license application should be returned to the Educational Studies office.

To apply for a Minnesota license after completing the Carleton Teacher Education Program:

  • Complete and sign the license application.
  • Complete, sign, and date the Applicant Conduct Review Statement attached to the application form. The provided fingerprint card (stamped by the Minnesota Department of Education) must be completed through a law enforcement agency (e.g., any police station).
  • Two payments are needed: 1) a check or money order payable to Commissioner of the Minnesota Department of Education, and 2) a money order or cashier?s check payable to bureau of criminal apprehension.
  • After reviewing a students file to confirm that all curricular requirements have been met, the Educational Studies Department will submit to the college registrar a recommendation for licensure, passing Praxis score reports, license application, the conduct review statement, the fingerprint card, and payments.
  • The Registrar will complete and sign the application and submit the forms and payments along with an official transcript to the Minnesota Board of Teaching. Following processing (in about eight to twelve weeks), the Board of Teaching will send the license to the address the student stipulated on their application form.

In general, Carleton students must complete the teacher licensure program within a year following graduation. However, in unusual circumstances students who were formally enrolled in the teacher licensure program prior to graduation and who have completed all requirements except student teaching may, within three years of graduation, submit a petition to the Teacher Education Committee to complete licensure requirements under the auspices of Carleton College.

Who is involved?

The Educational Studies Department, an advisor from the Geology Department, visiting faculty, experienced teachers, the Teacher Education Committee, and Partner Schools.

How is the program maintained and funded?

Teaching and activities related to the Teaching Licensure Program for Earth and Space Science are part of the permanent jobs of Educational Studies faculty so payment for this work comes from the faculty member's regualr salaries at Carleton College.

Hints for starting a program like this:

Any university that wants to create a similar science teacher licensure program is encouraged to take a look at Carleton's online Teaching Licensure Handbook and other associated sites from the Educational Studies Department. You should also check your state office of education to obtain requirements for subject area certification in your state. If an educational studies program already exits at your university, it is recommended that you work closely with them.

References and Notes:

Profiles of Affiliated Programs: