World Population Activity II: Excel
This material is replicated on a number of sites as part of the SERC Pedagogic Service Project
- Import data from text files
- Graph data and perform simple rate calculations
- Assess model behavior by comparing model predictions to observations
- Learn about World population and limited growth
Context for Use
- Activity Sheet (Excel 2003 version) (Acrobat (PDF) PRIVATE FILE 694kB Aug10 03); Activity Sheet (Excel 2007 version) (Acrobat (PDF) 525kB Dec9 10)
- Answers Document (Excel PRIVATE FILE 62kB Apr3 04) with several sheets representing different levels of completion. These Excel documents can be used for either:
- Introducing concepts and ideas in an interactive lecture
- Making transparencies or power point slides
- Checking student results
- A text file of UNEP data/projections UNEP Population ( PRIVATE FILE 788bytes Apr3 04)
- Sample images of what's in the Excel Answer Document and what students are expected to accomplish.
Figure 1. Low, Medium, and High UNEP projections of world population
Figure 2. Med-UNEP medium projections for World population to 2050 and Logistic model "best" fit. (Ao=2.52, K=10.8, and r=2.8)
Teaching Notes and Tips
Grading the completed activity sheet provided can be used as an assessment of student understanding. The future success of students on other Excel related activities is also another useful assessment tool.
An Excel Answers Document is provided above with several sheets representing different levels of completion for this activity. This can help instructors:
- assess student success for this activity;
- answer student questions that come up;
- quickly familiarize themselves with the activity.
References and Resources
World Population Activity I should be completed before doing this follow-up activity.