For the InstructorThese student materials complement the Water Sustainability in Cities Instructor Materials. If you would like your students to have access to the student materials, we suggest you either point them at the Student Version which omits the framing pages with information designed for faculty (and this box). Or you can download these pages in several formats that you can include in your course website or local Learning Managment System. Learn more about using, modifying, and sharing InTeGrate teaching materials.
Unit 7: Low-Impact Development and Green Infrastructure
Welcome to the unit on low-impact development. In this unit, you will be introduced to the concept of green infrastructure and learn how to use computer software to evaluate the effect of low-impact development on the hydrologic cycle.
Activity 7.0 Pre-Class Assignments
Come prepared for class by installing the necessary software and completing the pre-class assignments.
- Download and install EPA's National Stormwater Calculator on your computer, available at:
- Review Chapters 1 and 2 in the EPA National Stormwater Calculator Users Guide .
- Read the EPA fact sheet on the benefits of low-impact development
- Watch two videos:
- NYC Green Infrastructure YouTube video, posted by NYC Water.
- EPA National Stormwater Calculator YouTube video, posted by EPA.
- Complete pre-class questions, see the Pre-Class Assignment handout (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 24kB Jul4 16).
Activity 7.1 EPA National Stormwater Calculator, Part 1: Setup Case Study
In this activity, you will use the U.S. EPA National Stormwater Calculator to determine the effect of urban development on runoff.
- Review the Unit 7 Activity handout (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 28kB Jul4 16)
- Follow instructor to complete demonstration
Activity 7.1 EPA National Stormwater Calculator, Part 2: Low-Impact Development (LID) Controls
In this activity, you will explore the impact of LID controls on storm water runoff.
- Continue with case study to explore LID control alternatives
- Compute LID control benefits and compare with the baseline conditions
- Select final plan and record results, be prepared to report to class
Activity 7.1 EPA National Storwmater Calculator, Part 3: Individual Report
In this activity, you will synthesize your efforts in a summary brief.
- Prepare your individual report
- Select results to include in report