For the InstructorThese student materials complement the Water Sustainability in Cities Instructor Materials. If you would like your students to have access to the student materials, we suggest you either point them at the Student Version which omits the framing pages with information designed for faculty (and this box). Or you can download these pages in several formats that you can include in your course website or local Learning Managment System. Learn more about using, modifying, and sharing InTeGrate teaching materials.
Unit 6: Rainwater Harvesting
Welcome to the unit covering urban rainwater harvesting. In this unit, you will be introduced to the concept of rainwater harvesting and complete activities to size a storage cistern to service a case study building.
Activity 6.0 Pre-Class Assignment
Come prepared to class by completing the pre-class assignment:
- See Pre-class assignment handout (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 22kB Jul4 16)
- Read pages 1–9 of the Albuquerque Rainwater Harvesting Manual (Acrobat (PDF) 899kB Sep28 14)
- View Rainwater Harvesting Video on YouTube, posted by PlumbingGuru.
- Provide responses to the following:
- Describe in five sentences or fewer the difference between simple and complex rainwater harvesting systems.
- Explain why rainwater harvesting is or is not a more sustainable alternative to piped water supply. Provide two reasons.
Activity 6.1 Cistern Sizing, Part 1: Total Demand Monthly Water Balance
In this activity, you will complete a monthly water balance for a case study building to determine an appropriate size of a rainwater storage cistern.
- Review cistern sizing handout (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 23kB Jul4 16)
- Review cistern sizing spreadsheet (Excel 2007 (.xlsx) 18kB Sep20 15)
- Work in teams to complete part 1 of the activity.
Activity 6.1 Cistern Sizing, Part 2: Indoor and Outdoor Water Demand Patterns
In this activity, you will complete monthly water balances for a case study building to investigate the effect of serving different demand patterns.
- Review instructions in cistern sizing handout (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 23kB Jul4 16) (same file as above)
- Complete task and be prepared to report