Assessment of Module Goals
This page lists assessments for the entire module, broken down by unit (100 points total). The assessments (both formative and summative) are designed to assess student learning throughout the module, and specifically aim to assess student understanding of the module goals. These goals are:
- For students to identify and apply credible geologic and social science data sets to identify local hazards and vulnerable groups and structures, and assess risk for themselves and their community.
- For students to collect and analyze relevant social data on individual and community knowledge, risk perception, and preparedness within their local social networks.
- For students to identify potential stakeholders and assess the importance of communication and interaction among these groups to make recommendations on how to define and develop prepared and resilient communities.
Unit 1 Assessments:
Class discussion of natural hazards, vulnerability and risk for the local community, and how these concepts affect community preparedness (0 points).
Unit 1 Rubric – 22 total points. Includes 2 points for the pre-module quiz and 20 points for the hazard map.
- Unit 1 Rubric (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 19kB Oct19 14)
Unit 2 Assessments:
Unit 2 Part A Rubric – 15 total points. Includes 2 points for survey completion and distribution, 8 points for group graph packet analysis (Part A Worksheet in Unit 2 Student Instructions), and 5 points for participation in class discussion.
- Unit 2 Part A Rubric (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 20kB Oct19 14)
- Unit 2 Part B Rubric (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 22kB Oct19 14)
Unit 3 Assessments:
Class discussion of what a stakeholder is and how it affects communication (0 points).
Unit 3 Rubric - 30 total points. Includes 3 points for pre-presentation tasks, 14 points for presentation content, 9 points for presentation delivery, and 4 points for post-module quiz and reflection questions.
- Unit 3 Rubric (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 23kB Oct19 14)
- Reflection Questions for Geoscience Courses (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 16kB Oct19 14)
- Reflection Questions for Social Science and Interdisciplinary Courses (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 15kB Oct19 14)