Are You Going to Eat That?
Part A: Irresponsible Fishing Practices
Several types of irresponsible fishing practices contribute to the threat against sustainable seafood. In order to meet consumer demands, the fishing industry sometimes uses techniques that are harmful to fisheries and marine ecosystems. However, conscientious seafood consumers can help to change this. Slight changes in seafood purchasing habits can make an enormous impact on the effort to curb losses in marine biodiversity and to increase seafood sustainability.
Fishing Gear & Methods
1. To learn about fishing methods currently in use by commercial fisheries, visit the Monterey Bay Aquarium's website on Fishing & Farming Methods. Read the Fishing Methods section to learn more about some different ways fish and seafood are trapped and caught.
2. To get a sense of how the methods of fishing have changed over time, visit the Sea Around Us site and examine the graph of Catches by Gear in the Global Ocean from 1950 to 2014. Move your cursor over the graph to view the yearly values of metric tons of fish caught by various types of gear.
Answer the following questions about the information provided in the Catches by Gear graph.
- What methods of fishing caught the most and least tons of fish in 1950?
- How many years did it take before small scale fishing was not consistently the catching the most fish after 1950?
When fishermen catch fish and other animals they do not want, can't sell, or aren't allowed to keep, we call this bycatch. This contributes to overfishing.
3. Watch this video to learn more about bycatch:
There are many ways that different types of fishing and gear can increase the chances of bycatch, but there are also ways that both can be adapted to reduce bycatch.
4. Use the following videos and readings to learn about several methods in use or being developed:
Adaptations to avoid Seabird Bycatch
- How does a TED device trawl net operate similarly to the separator device for the groundfish trawl net to ensure the turtles or cod aren't captured? How do the trawl net devices operate differently?
- What are some of the recommended changes to protect sea birds?
IUU - Illegal, Unreported, Unregulated Fishing
Although not much in the news, IUU is a global problem.
5. Read NOAA's page on Understanding Illegal, Unreported, and Unregulated Fishing.
There are many ways that fisheries and law-enforcement around the world have tried to crack down on illegal fishing.
6. Read about this new one involving the use of Albatross Wearing Data Trackers.
- Why are developing countries considered the most affected by IUU?
- What makes albatrosses good birds for tracking fishing vessels?
The Lure of Flotsam video from PEW about FADs & tuna fishing
Protecting Tuna Stocks video
Other Unsustainable Fishing Practices
Wasteful Fishing- 10 Million Tonnes of Fish Wasted Yearly
Unfair Fishing - Taking Advantage of Developing Countries' Fisheries
Destructive Fishing - What is Destructive Fishing?