Telecon1: Measuring Distance and Area in Satellite Images
First Teleconference Online Workshop Using ImageJ
You can participate in our first Teleconference Online Workshop on either Tuesday, April 1 from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM or on Saturday, April 5, 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM. (In addition, some of you are participating in the orientation meeting on April 5 and will complete the first workshop then.) If you will be participating virtually, then please make arrangements to be at a relatively quiet telephone connection with access to an Internet connection at the same time.
Getting Ready for the Workshop
- To preview Measuring Distance and Area in Satellite Images, go to the
- To prepare for the workshop, acquaint yourself with the chapter by looking over the Title Page, Teaching Notes, and Case Study.
- Next, complete all steps of Part 1, downloading the two MODIS images plus downloading and installing ImageJ.
- Then, complete Step 1 of Part 4, downloading the Landsat Triptych image.
- Consider printing out each of the four Parts of the Step-by-Step instructions.
This will allow you to focus your attention during the workshop on ImageJ and the images of the Aral Sea plus the Elluminate space. Instead of constantly switching between the EET directions in your browser and the actual data analysis you will be doing in ImageJ, you will be able to refer to the paper printout of the steps.
- If you have not already done so, make sure your browser can support the Eluminate Web-conferencing software.
Elluminate Configuration Check
- Last, we have found that school firewalls can sometimes prevent participants from accessing Elluminate. To test your ability to connect to an Elluminate Classroom, click the link below. You can ignore the instructions for configuring your audio. We will be using the telephone, rather than Elluminate to talk to each other.
Elluminate Test Classroom
- If you have any difficulties getting ready for the workshop, please contact LuAnn, Carla, or Nick.