Workshop: Fostering Two-Year College Collaborations with Disciplinary Societies
April 28 & May 5, 2023, asynchronous summer check-ins, September 29 & October 6
This virtual workshop will expand collaborative efforts between two-year college (2YC) faculty and disciplinary societies for the benefit of both 2YCs and the societies. The workshop builds on the January 2022 workshop on Strengthening Connections Between Community Colleges and Disciplinary Societies and a 2021 New Directions for Community Colleges volume on Community College Engagement with Disciplinary Societies that includes chapters from multiple disciplines.
Expanding collaboration between 2YCs and disciplinary societies is key for building participation in STEM disciplines, supporting diversity and inclusion, promoting continuing professional development for 2YC instructors, and ultimately enhancing student learning and success. The workshop will bring together 2YC faculty and disciplinary society leaders to
- Develop and begin to implement action plans that expand collaborations between 2YC colleges and disciplinary societies
- Explore cross-disciplinary opportunities to support faculty and students
- Learn more about National Science Foundation grant opportunities for 2YCs that address both discipline-specific and cross-disciplinary needs
- Build networks and communities of 2YC faculty and disciplinary society representatives
The workshop will bring together 65-75 2YC faculty and disciplinary society leaders from 11 disciplines: biology, chemistry, economics, geography, geoscience, mathematics, meteorology/atmospheric science, physics, political science, psychology, and sociology. It will provide a structured opportunity for disciplinary teams to develop and get feedback on action plans, building on their outcomes from the 2022 workshop. It will also provide opportunities for disciplines and disciplinary societies to learn from each other, for participants to explore cross-disciplinary efforts, and for strengthening networks within disciplinary communities and beyond.
Workshop Schedule (workshop will be virtual)
The virtual workshop will include two half-day Zoom sessions in spring (April 28 & May 5), asynchronous summer work, and two half-day Zoom sessions in the fall (September 29 & October 6). The Zoom sessions will be 12-4 pm Eastern / 11-3 Central / 10-2 Mountain / 9-1 Pacific.
The workshop will provide a scaffolded approach for disciplinary teams to develop and begin to implement a discipline-specific action plan to expand collaborations between two-year colleges and disciplinary societies. The workshop will also provide opportunities to share across disciplines and to learn more about National Science Foundation (NSF) programs.
Disciplinary team liaisons:
Each disciplinary team will have two liaisons. Liaisons will meet with project leaders to discuss our action plan process, the selection of other participants for disciplinary teams, and workshop deliverables. Liaisons will work with the project leaders to identify four additional members of their disciplinary team.
The workshop will offer multiple opportunities for all participating to interact, using Zoom for plenary events and breakout rooms as well as shared documents and slides for smaller group interactions. Sessions will be interactive, following effective practices for engaging participants and promoting inclusive discussions. Written notes/reports from sessions will enable all to learn from each other and provide opportunities for commenting on that work.
- Tom Higgins, Chemistry, Harold Washington College
- Ellen Iverson, SERC at Carleton College
- Heather Macdonald, Geology, William & Mary, Emerita
- Mark Maier, Economics, Glendale Community College
- Monica Bruckner, SERC at Carleton College
- Susan Bickerstaff, Community College Research Center, Teachers College, Columbia University
- Sharon Zuber, William & Mary Writing Center, Director Emerita