Pathway 3: Earthquake Impacts
How do earthquakes affect us?
- What does the shaking feel like?
- How is the severity of an earthquake measured?
- How do seismic waves interact with matter?
- What controls earthquake shaking in different places?
- Earthquake magnitude is the amount of energy released during an earthquake, which is measured on the Moment Magnitude scale
- The fundamental controls on earthquake shaking (earthquake "intensity') at a given location are the magnitude of the event, and the distance from the epicenter and depth to the hypocenter
- Earthquake intensity may vary with geologic factors such as the type of soil or rock, resonance, and topographic effects
Glossary of activity types (ex. Introductory, Inquiry, etc.) (Opens in a new window.)