Written Assignment Sessions
This material is replicated on a number of sites as part of the SERC Pedagogic Service Project
Provide students an opportunity to read scientific literature, express understanding of scientific content and write a summary of the written work.
- Use an online resource to access a specific scientific article.
- Read the specified article.
- Express understanding of the content through a "quiz" in D2L.
- Evaluate understanding of the content based on class discussion of the quiz results
- Further express understanding of content with a follow-up writing activity.
- Repeat assignment with other assigned articles.
Context for Use
Description and Teaching Materials
Assignment directions and rubric (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 18kB Feb25 10)
Teaching Notes and Tips
Out of a possible 32 points:
- The quiz will count for 8 possible points (2 points for each of the 4 answers).
- Answers must be clearly written, thoughtful and in complete sentences
- Accuracy of the answer is not as important as the effort.
- The written paper will count as 24 possible points (see rubric) and based and the procedures listed above.