Mining the News
In a first-year seminar that is Writing Rich, students spend the term completing a sequence of assignments related to research. At intervals during the term, they also complete these brief rhetorical analyses. The topics vary, and students expected to analyze the prose according to six different dimensions, included in the assignment prompt.
- Find appropriate material to analyze.
- Write a succinct summary.
- Address six features of writing.
- Appreciate audience expectations of various kinds of journalistic writing.
- Observe techniques used by real writers who have short deadlines.
Context for Use
Description and Teaching Materials
The assignment sheet is uploaded here.Assignment sheet (Microsoft Word 34kB Nov23 10)