Program (Subject to change)
8:00-8:25 Welcome, goals and introductions
8:25-8:50 Importance and Challenges
- Why is this topic important for us and the profession?
- What are the challenges to improving career preparation on your campus?
8:50-10:00 Careers in the Geosciences: What can be done with associates and bachelors degrees?
- Careers In the Geosciences (PowerPoint 14.8MB Dec2 12) - Bob Blodgett, Austin Community College
- Employer Panel followed by table discussions
- Jerald (Boo) Robinson, Chief of the U.S. Geological Survey Charlotte Field Office
USGS Hydrologic Technician (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 4.4MB Dec2 12)
- James (Jim) Conrad, Faculty Adviser for the UNC-Charlotte Marine Technology Society Student Section and professor in the Dept. of Electrical & Computer Engineering
Technology in Geosciences (PowerPoint 2.5MB Dec2 12)
- 10:15-11:00 Transfer Bridge Programs
11:00-12:00 Strategies that Work -What can we do in our classes? In extracurricular activities?
12:00-1:00 Lunch - Idea sharing and discussion: What do YOU want to do?
1:00-1:45 2YC Workforce Programs -Panel followed byQ and A open discussion
Overview (PowerPoint 415kB Dec2 12) - Bob Blodgett, Austin Community College
- Ben Wolfe, Energy Technology program at Metropolitan Community College in Kansas City
Presentation (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 985kB Dec2 12)
- Shelley Jaye, Physical Science Technology program at Northern Virginia Community College-Annandale
Presentation (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 369kB Dec2 12)
- Katayoun (Katti) Mobasher, Geographic Information Science program at Gainesville State College
Presentation (PowerPoint 1.9MB Dec2 12)
1:45-2:20Helping Students Become Professional Geoscientists - the ASBOG Examination, Licensing and Certification
- Jonathan (Jon) H. Goodwin, Chairperson of the Illinois Board of Licensing for Professional Geologists and retired geologist with the Illinois State Geological Survey
Presentation (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 303kB Dec2 12)
2:30-3:10 Creating Individual Action Plans
3:10-3:40 Addressing the Challenges
3:40-4:00 Reflections, Concluding Remarks, and Evaluations
Complete the GSA evaluation
Complete the SAGE 2YC evaluation