Supporting the Whole Student: Strategies for Success in the Classroom, Transferring, and Finding Professional Opportunities
Richmond, VA - A Local SAGE 2YC Workshop
Friday, May 23, 2014, Reynolds Community College
Registration deadline: Friday, May 2, 2014
- Address concerns regarding academic preparedness for students as they enter 2YC and transfer to 4YC
- Discuss with faculty and student support staff on best practices of academic advising
- Expose successes and challenges of transfer experiences from student, faculty, and support staff perspectives
- Gain insights on how to best match students to professional opportunities
There are no registration fees for attending the workshop. Participants must cover their own travel expenses, but are encouraged to pursue support from their home institution.
A catered lunch will be provided.
The workshop will be held in The Gallery, Georgiadis Hall, Reynolds Community College Parham Road Campus in Richmond, Virginia. This campus is easily accessible from I-95.
Directions from all points north and south: Take I-95 to Richmond, Virginia. Take exit 83B to VA-73 (Parham Road). Follow Parham Rd. approximately 1.5 miles west to the main campus entrance on left. You will pass an alternate entrance on the left at Sanctuary Drive. Park anywhere in Lot E. Georgiadis Hall will be in front of you, to the left of the Massey Library and Technology Center. The Gallery is in the basement of Georgiadis Hall.
Directions from all points west and east: Take I-64 toward Richmond, Virginia. Take I-295 around north side of Richmond to reach I-95 South. Take exit 83B to VA-73 (Parham Road). Follow Parham Rd. approximately 1.5 miles west to the main campus entrance on left. You will pass an alternate entrance on the left at Sanctuary Drive. Park anywhere in Lot E. Georgiadis Hall will be in front of you, to the left of the Massey Library and Technology Center. The Gallery is in the basement of Georgiadis Hall.
Google Maps address: 1651 E Parham Rd, Richmond, Virginia 23228
Reynolds Community College - Parham Campus map (Acrobat (PDF) 642kB Mar26 14)
Each workshop participant is expected to:
- In advance of the workshop
- Complete the registration form answering all questions
- During the workshop
- Participate in all activities from the beginning of the workshop between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm on Friday, May 23, 2014
- Develop an action plan for the next year
- Help to form a community of geoscience educators in Virginia
- Following the workshop - either individually or collectively implement something that has been learned at the workshop and help disseminate insights from the workshop to other geoscience educators.
Karen Layou, Reynolds Community College (email@example.com)
Lynsey LeMay, Thomas Nelson Community College (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Pete Berquist, Thomas Nelson Community College (email@example.com)
Brett Dooley, Patrick Henry Community College (firstname.lastname@example.org)
If you would like further information about the workshop, please contact one of conveners listed above.