Travel and Logistics
Travel by Air
Air travelers should fly into the Minneapolis-St. Paul airport, and we recommend arriving by 3:30 pm October 11, and planning to depart after 4:00 pm on October 13, as travel to and from the airport takes 45 minutes. Ground transportation to and from the airport will be arranged with First Choice Shuttle for you based on your travel information that you submit in the travel form (coming soon).
Before you arrive we will provide you with an estimated pick-up time, which will give you an idea of when a shuttle is in the area. The shuttle service will be aware of your scheduled arrival time and will expect a call from you when you arrive. They will confirm your pickup time and the color/type of vehicle you should watch for (they will not have any markings on their vehicle so they can come up to the curb at Baggage Claim Door 4).
Upon Arrival please:
- Call First Choice Shuttle: 507-339-1651. They will be waiting for your call.
- Proceed to Baggage Claim.
- Collect bags (if applicable).
- Wait at Baggage Claim DOOR 4 for the First Choice Shuttle at the time confirmed in step 1.
In the event your flight is early or delayed, please let First Choice Shuttle (507-339-1651) know of your new arrival time, as soon as possible.
Travel by Car
Room reservations will be made for everyone attending the workshop at the Northfield Country Inn for the nights indicated on your travel information form. The Neotoma grant will cover hotel costs for rooms for the nights of October 11 & 12 and can cover the cost of the 13th if you can't get a flight after 4:00 pm.
It's about a five-block walk to the meeting space from the hotel and downtown is about 2-3 blocks from the hotel. Please let us know if you have any concerns about accommodations or mobility.
If you need other arrangements, please contact Krista Herbstrith at 507-222-4368 and mention that you are attending the Neotoma workshop.
The Country Inn offers free wireless internet access throughout their building. Internet access will also be available in the meeting room. Cellular reception is good throughout the region. You will have a telephone in your room at the Country Inn and messages can be left at the hotel desk: 507-645-2286.
The Country Inn will serve continental breakfast each morning.
For lunches and dinners, we will have a combination of dining hall and catered meals with time for excursions to local restaurants. All meals will include vegetarian offerings. Please provide information on the registration form if you require special meals. The price of all meals and gratuities during the workshop is covered. However, the NSF grant does not cover alcoholic beverages. Alcoholic drinks will be available for purchase during some meal-times.
There is no registration fee to attend this workshop, and the project grant covers air travel, lodging, meals and supplies during the workshop. Participants will be reimbursed for workshop expenses (travel, meals) after the workshop is complete. Please save your receipts so that we can reimburse you.
Here's what you need to do to get reimbursed for your travel:
- Fill out the Carleton reimbursement form (Excel 23kB Jul31 18) and send it, with your original receipts, to Lisa Nirva (firstname.lastname@example.org; Carleton College W-SERC, 1 N. College St., Northfield, MN 55057)
- For airfare, e-receipts are sufficient.
- For mileage, we need Google maps or MapQuest documentation of travel distance.
- Parking, ground transportation and meals, will be reimbursed with original receipts. Just a reminder that alcohol is not covered in our grant reimbursement.
- Make sure we have a current W-9 (Acrobat (PDF) PRIVATE FILE 129kB Oct17 19) on file for you. If we don't, or if it needs updating, please complete and send it to Lisa Nirva.
- Please allow 4 weeks for check processing once your request has been received.
Carleton College, W-SERC
One North College St
Northfield, MN 55057
Attn: Lisa Nirva
If you have any questions don't hesitate to give SERC a call at 507-222-4368.
Northfield is a small town about 35 miles south of the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul. Minnesota's weather in October is highly variable. Please check the weather close to the workshop to prepare for snow, rain, or hot sun!