Visualization Software Links
Examples of visualization software (no endorsement implied) include:
Freeware, Shareware, or interactive on-line software
- Data Plotting and Fitting (more info) Good for small number of data points. Includes several types of least-squares fits and error bars.
- National Center for Education Statistics: Create a Graph (more info) Create area, bar, pie, and line (x-y) graphs. Also provides students with basics of graphing.
- NCAR Command Language and NCAR Graphics (more info) Free for UNIX systems (or windows with UNIX emulation)
- SciLab Free Software similar to Matlab.
- Weather Graphics (more info) low cost for visualizing METAR data
- Java Ocean Atlas (more info) Free resource with lots of oceanographic data.
- Graphical Anaylsis 3 (more info) Low cost for department license (less than $100.00) and many easy to use features.
- ESRI: GIS and Mapping Software (more info)
- The Mathworks (more info)
- IDL-Interactive Data Language (more info)
- Mathematica (more info)
The On the Cutting Edge - Teaching Geoscience with Visualizations website also has a page about different tools used in creating visualizations and animations.