Search Starting Point
This pages allows you to search across all of the Starting Point site. We also have a similar search limited to teaching activities.
Areas of the Site
- 15 matches General/Other
- Assessment 22 matches
- Campus Living Laboratory 14 matches
- ConcepTests 338 matches
- Conceptual Models 8 matches
- Cooperative Learning 59 matches
- Earth History Approach 46 matches
- Experience-Based Environmental Projects 19 matches
- Field Labs 36 matches
- First Day of Class 65 matches
- Gallery Walks 37 matches
- Games 34 matches
- Indoor Labs 26 matches
- Interactive Lecture Demonstrations 76 matches
- Interactive Lectures 113 matches
- Investigative Case Based Learning 35 matches
- Jigsaws 10 matches
- Just in Time Teaching 75 matches
- Mathematical and Statistical Models 44 matches
- Models 12 matches
- Peer Review 28 matches
- Role Playing 44 matches
- Service Learning 42 matches
- Socratic Questioning 23 matches
- Spreadsheets Across the Curriculum 58 matches
- Studio Teaching in the Geosciences 14 matches
- Teaching Urban Students 11 matches
- Teaching with Data 72 matches
- Teaching with GIS 21 matches
- Teaching with Google Earth 19 matches
- Teaching with Visualizations 19 matches
- Undergraduate Research 48 matches
- Using an Earth System Approach 62 matches
Results 1 - 10 of 1545 matches
Comparing Carbon Calculators part of Teaching with Data:Examples
Carbon calculators, no matter how well intended as tools to help measure energy footprints, tend to be black boxes and can produce wildly different results, depending on the calculations used to weigh various ...
Greenhouse Emissions Reduction Role-Play Exercise part of Role Playing:Examples
When the science is so clear, why is it so difficult to make agreements that will reduce our impact on climate change? This exercise is designed to help students explore that important question in an active and ...
Making Paints from Minerals part of Teaching Urban Students:Examples
Students prepare simple gouache paints using common minerals that are typically of sedimentary origin (e.g., hematite, limonite, kaolinite, glauconite), and use these paints to produce artifacts that are ...
Metamorphic Rocks Lab part of Indoor Labs:Examples
Students are introduced to the processes involved in metamorphism through hands-on study of rock samples. They examine different metamorphic paths, protoliths, textures, and minerals. -
The Boxing Day Tsunami part of Teaching with Google Earth:Examples
Undergraduate students map data from the National Geophysical Data Center and the United States Geological Survey on Google Earth and study visualizations in order to explore the causes and effects of the Tsunami ...
Northwest Passage part of Teaching with Google Earth:Examples
An investigation of changes in polar regions using Google Earth.
Energy Consumption Rates across the USA and the World part of Teaching with Google Earth:Examples
A investigation of differences in rates and categories of energy use between countries and US states
Half Life Model part of Interactive Lecture Demonstrations:Examples
While working in groups to facilitate peer tutoring, students manipulate a hands-on, physical model to better comprehend the nature of half life. Students use the model to simulate the decay of radionuclides. The ...
How Does Surface Deformation at an Active Volcano Relate to Pressure and Volume Change in the Magma Chamber? part of Spreadsheets Across the Curriculum:Examples
SSAC Physical Volcanology module. Students build a spreadsheet to examine and apply the Mogi model for horizontal and vertical surface displacement vs. depth and pressure conditions in the magma chamber.
What is the Volume of a Debris Flow? part of Spreadsheets Across the Curriculum:Examples
SSAC Physical Volcanology module. Students build a spreadsheet to estimate the volume of volcanic deposits using map, thickness and high-water mark data from the 2005 Panabaj debris flow (Guatemala).