Planning for Failure: Landslide Analysis for a Safer Society
In this module, students learn empirical methods of mass movement (landslide) hazard mapping and how to tie that to making smarter societal choices. Students explore landslide detection from digital topographic data, the distributive pattern of landslides in a region, and how predictive models (susceptibility maps) are developed and analyzed. This culminates in generating of a risk analysis report and management plan. Materials for student reading and preparation exercises, in-class discussions, lab exercises, group activities, and jigsaw experience are all provided, including teaching tips and suggestions for modifications for a variety of classes.
Webinar about teaching this module: Teaching Landslide Analysis to Undergraduates: Planning for Failure and a Safer Society
For an introductory-level module on landslide hazards, please see Surface Process Hazards: Living with Landslides
Strengths of the Module
- Students come away from the module with a robust understanding of landslide susceptibility analysis, as well as more concrete understanding of the societal impact of mass movements and steps that can be taken to improve resilience.
- The module includes use of both CloudCompare and ArcGIS Desktop. Although the technology ramp-up challenges some of the students, it also helps them develop transferable skills in trouble-shooting and using Help tools to figure things out. Some students have even gone on to use the methods behind the landslide susceptibility index (LSI) for other applications in other courses.
Great fit for 300- and 400-level classes in
- Geological hazards (Geohazards)
- Remote Sensing
- Environmental Data Analysis
- Geotechnical Engineering
Table of Contents
- Instructor Materials: Overview of the Planning for Failure: Landslide Analysis for a Safer Society Module
- Unit 1: Mass Wasting Identification and Quantification
- Unit 2: Examining the Distribution of Mass Wasting Events
- Unit 3: Develop and Test Models of Landslide Susceptibility
- Unit 4: Analyze and Prescribe a Risk Assessment and Hazard Mitigation Plan
- Student Materials
- Instructor Stories
- Join the Community