JSC Workshop: June 21-27, 2010
Before you make your travel plans and reservations, please read these announcements.
- Plan your travel dates. When making your travel arrangements, we recommend that you plan to arrive in Houston on June 20 and depart on June 28. We will be using the full 7 days for the workshop, including a full day on June 27, probably ending around 7 or 8 PM. Some of you will just want to spend the rest of the night socializing or resting and we do not want people to feel they need to rush out if they are exhausted. Therefore, the project will cover the cost of the hotel for the night of June 27. Breakfast will also be provided on the morning of June 28. We will provide transportation back and forth between the hotel and Johnson Space Center, but all other transportation will be your own responsibility.
- Check-in/Check-out dates are pre-set. When booking your hotel room, do not change the check-in or check-out dates! The hotel has set up a special reservation site just for Eyes in the Sky II participants. The check-in and check-out dates have been pre-set for the workshop dates and our special group rate. If you would like to extend your stay at the hotel on either end of the week, please make your reservation using the pre-set workshop dates and then call the hotel to amend your reservation.
- Use a credit card to guarantee your reservation. You will need to enter a credit card number to hold and guarantee your hotel reservation. However, your card will not be charged. You will also need a credit card when checking in to the hotel to cover any incidentals you may incur during your stay. The project will cover the base cost of the room (including taxes), but you will be responsible for any additional charges such as parking, room service, paid TV programming, etc.
- Coordinate with each other. Use the workshop discussion page to coordinate travel plans and ground transportation with other participants if you are interested in sharing a ride to or from the airport.
- Please notify us of any special needs or requests. If you have any dietary restrictions, medical conditions, or other special needs that we should be aware of, please email Sarah (Sarah_Hill@terc.edu) as soon as possible so that we can do our best to make the necessary accommodations in advance of the workshop. When sending your email, please include "Eyes in the Sky II" in the subject line.
You signed up for the summer workshop that will be held at Johnson Space Center from June 21-27, 2010. Please take a moment to once again review the program requirements and agree to them no later than Friday, April 29.
To participate in the Eyes in the Sky II professional development program, you must agree to the following:
I understand that:
- I need to fully participate in the online course in order to be eligible to attend the summer workshop.
- I can elect to purchase graduate credits for the course, but this is optional and I must pay for the cost of those credits.
- I need to bring to the summer workshop a laptop that is capable of running the software used in the online course.
- I am responsible for getting myself to the summer workshop site.
- Meals and lodging will be provided during the summer workshop, which will be an intensive 7-day immersion experience. Participants will be required to stay at the workshop hotel and engage in evening events.
- I am eligible for a $1000 stipend after successful completion of the course and summer workshop.
- As an Eyes in the Sky II Ambassador, I will need to provide a total of twenty hours of professional development in the Fall of 2010 to ten other teachers in my school, district, or region.
- I am a United States citizen currently teaching science and will be teaching science during the 2010-2011 school year.
- I will follow school and district procedures to make sure that the geospatial technology software used in the program is installed on my school's computers.
- During the 2010-2011 school year, I will implement data-rich investigations with my students.
- In the Spring of 2011, my students will participate in a virtual research showcase, highlighting the results of their investigations.
- I am eligible for a $1000 stipend after fulfilling my role as an Eyes in the Sky II Ambassador and after implementing investigations with my students.
Confirm Your Attendance
To confirm your intention to attend the JSC workshop, please enter the following information.
NOTE: NASA requires that all workshop attendees be U.S. citizens. Please confirm your citizenship when filling out this form.