Install GIS Software for PC Users
Depending upon your Windows operating system, you will be able to run either ArcExplorer Java Edition for Education (AEJEE) or ArcGIS or both software packages. Those of you with newer versions of Windows operating systems (such as Vista and Windows 7) may find it easier to install ArcGIS, rather than AEJEE. However, instructions are included below for all options in case you want to use both. AEJEE is available for free download and can be used by your students even on their home computers. It is meant to be installed and used on individual computers rather than from a server. Your goal this week is to install at least one GIS software package.
Download and Install AEJEE
- Check the system requirements:
Win2000 or WinXP, 100 MB hard drive space, Internet connection; Pentium III or faster processor and more than 64 MB RAM recommended.
- Click here to open ESRI's download page for ArcExplorer Java Edition for Education in a new window and download the version for your computer. Right-click and choose "Download Link to Disk.." to download the zipped file aejee_232_windows.zip.
- If the downloaded file does not unzip automatically, then you will need to manually unzip it with your unzipping software. (WinZip is one program that can do this.)
- Windows 2000 and Windows XP users. When the unzipping is complete, double click on the uncompressed file install.exe to launch the installer and follow its directions.
- AEJEE defaults to install in C:\ESRI\AEJEE. However, you can install AEJEE wherever you like, such as in the Programs folder.
- Windows Vista users. When the unzipping is complete, right click on the installer and choose Properties.
- In the Compatibility tab, check the box next to "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and select Windows XP using the pulldown menu. Click on OK.
- Navigate to the uncompressed installation file install.exe.
- Double-click on the installer and use the installation wizard to install the program. When installation is complete, you will find AEJEE under All Programs > AEJEE.
- Windows 7 users. For the installer to run, copy the file install.exe to the local hard drive and run in it "compatibility" mode. Try selecting XP Service Pack 3.
- Navigate to the uncompressed file install.exe and use the installation wizard to install the program.
- The standard user experience scheme in Windows 7 is "Aero". There are oddities running AEJEE under "Aero". These may be "Java issues" more than AEJEE issues.
- System dialogs. For example the horizontal slider bar area in the "Add data" dialog appears but the "gripper" button doesn't show up. You can still slide the bar, by clicking in the area.
- Many dialog "pop-up" windows do not appear, such as layer properties, Identify tool, Query tool. The java console indicates Null Point Exceptions with actions that should open a new window.
- To avoid these issues, "Personalize" your Windows 7 machine. Go to Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Personalization (or right-click desktop and select "Personalize"). Set your "Theme" to "Windows Classic". Other themes may work too.
- Check the system requirements:
Win2000, WinXP, Vista, or Windows 7 with 1.2 GB hard drive space, Internet connection; RAM 1 GB plus DVD drive needed for installation.
- Put the software DVD in your computer's DVD drive. A splash screen will appear. Click the ArcEditor installation option.
- On the Startup window, click Install ArcGIS Desktop.
- This will launch the Setup wizard. Read the Welcome. Then click Next.
- Read the license agreement. Click "I accept the license agreement" and click Next.
- The default installation type is Typical. Choose the Complete install, which will add extension products. Click Next.
- Accept the default installation folder or click Browse and navigate to the drive or folder location where you want to install the software. Click Next.
- Accept the default installation folder or navigate to the drive or folder where you want to install Python, a scripting language used by some ArcGIS geoprocessing functions. (You won't see this panel if you already have Python installed.) Click Next.
- The installation paths for ArcGIS and Python are confirmed. Click Next. The software will take several minutes to install on your computer. When the installation is finished, you will see the following message:
- Click Finish.
- Complete the registration information when prompted.