Drought Mitigation Trade-offs
What are the trade-offs for mitigating drought through desalinization of sea water?
Explore the positive and negative aspects of desalinization of seawater as a source of freshwater? The following links can provide a starting point for your research.
- What is Desalination?
- Desalination Breakthrough: Saving the Sea from Salt
- One of the driest countries on Earth now makes more freshwater than it needs
- Watch this brief video on desalination and how it's currently being used in California.
Hands-on ActivityDistill a sample of salt water to produce freshwater.
- Gather these materials:
- 400 mL beaker with 200 mL tap water plus 7 g salt
- hot plate
- ring stand
- glass funnel
- one-hole stopper with bent glass tube
- rubber tubing
- 200 mL beaker
- watch glass