Part 1—Download Software and Data
Step 1 – Download and Install My World GIS Software
Note: (2018) My World GIS is now unavailable
Note: (August 2015) A 45-day free trial of My World is available through PASCO scientific' ne.
- Open the PASCO My World homepage. Scroll down the page, and click the Free Trial tab.
- Select the version of software for your type of operating system or platform (Windows or Mac OS X).
- Click the word Download to begin downloading the installer to your computer.
- A My World GIS™ version 5.0 Trial Version Installer will download to your computer.
- Double click the installer app and follow the onscreen instructions to install My World GIS on your computer.
Note: You may want to return to the My World GIS website later and explore its resources.
Step 2 – Launch My World GIS
My World GIS program icon
- Start My World GIS by double-clicking the program icon or by going to the Start Menu and navigating to the application.
- From the Welcome screen, click the link titled "Get Started" at the bottom of the screen.
- A new My World GIS project window opens in Construct Mode. A Data Library, Layer List, and a blank Map will be visible.
Step 3 – Enable the Thredds Online Data Library option
- To access the online data stored at the Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory (PMEL), select Edit > Preferences and enable the Thredds Online Data Library option in My World GIS preferences.
- You will need to quit My World GIS for the preferences to be saved.