Part 1—Download Temperature Data
Step 1 Select the Global Summary of the Day (GSOD) Temperature Data Set from NOAA's National Climatic Data Center (NCDC)
- Go to the NCDC Land-Based Station Data. The page will open in a new window.
- On the NCDC Land-Based Station Data page, select Datasets from the list in the left-hand column; another new page will open.
- On the Datasets page select GSOD or Global Summary of the Day from the list of datasets.
- Conduct a web interface search of the Global Summary of the Day (GSOD) product. Before continuing, you must read and accept the NOAA data use policy.
Step 2 Narrow the Search of GSOD Temperature Data to Find a Specific Weather StationRetrieve weather data for the Barrow, Alaska station ("Barrow/W. Post W. R") from January 1, 1945 to the present, in comma-delimited format.
Step 3 Download the Data, the Data format documentation, and View the Station List DocumentAfter a short time, the page will display a link to the data file with a random name like CDOxxxx.txt, where xxxx represents a string of numbers identifying your request. There is also a button to display the data format documentation and a button to view the Station List information. Save the data file as BarrowGSOD.txt.
Step 4 Repeat Steps 1 to 3 to Download GSOD Data for Additional Stations
Repeat Steps 1 to 3, downloading the station data for Key West, Florida. In this case, you have to download two datasets to cover the range of years 1948 to present to compare with your Barrow data.
Step 5 Select Global Historical Climatology Network (GHCN-D) Monthly Temperature Data for Barrow, AK
- Use the Maps and Data links available from NOAA Climate Maps and Data page to select Global Historical Climatology Network (GHCN-D) Monthly Temperature Data for Barrow, AK for the years 1946-2011.
- Review your order. Check the dates, states, and stations. This could be a lot of data if you specified all stations for a state, for example. Enter your email address where you would like to be notified when your data is ready for download. When you have finished click Submit Order.
- You will get a confirmation that your order has been submitted. When your order if ready you will get a second email showing that your order is complete. The second email will contain a link from which you can download your data. This may take a few minutes as you have requested a large dataset.
- Instructions for downloading and saving the file are included in the confirmation email. Additional information about the data is also included in the email. Save the email for future reference.
Step 6 Download and Prepare Global Historical Climatology Network (GHCN-D) Monthly Temperature Data for Barrow, AK
- When you are ready to download the data, click the link ending in .dat at the top of the email to view the text file in a new window. Then select and copy the entire screen. Open a new Excel workbook, and using Paste Special, paste the fixed-width text file into the spreadsheet.
- Then use the Text Import Wizard to separate the date fields into year, month and day.
- Rename and save your data file to something descriptive like Barrow_GHCN-D_data.xls.
BarrowGSOD.txt ( 3.2MB Jan18 11), the Global Summary of the Day daily data for all years.
KeyWestGSOD.txt ( 2.9MB Jan18 11), the Global Summary of the Day daily data for 1948-2010
Barrow_GHCN_D_data.xls (Excel 85kB Nov7 12), Barrow Monthly data 1949-2011
Right-click (PC) or control-click (Mac) the links above to download the files.