Webinar: Developing Quantitative Skills Using Geoscience Data and MATLAB®
Thursday, April 28, 2016
1:00 pm Pacific | 2:00 pm Mountain | 3:00 pm Central | 4:00 pm Eastern
Presenters: Lisa Kempler (MathWorks®), Andrew Fischer (University of Tasmania), Charly Bank (University of Toronto), Jackie Caplan-Auerbach (Western Washington University)
At the end of this webinar, participants will have...
- Access to resources about teaching with data, simulations, and models, using MATLAB as a tool
- Examples of teaching activities that address some common challenges of teaching quantitative skills
- Strategies for teaching visualization and analysis of geoscience data
- An opportunity to join a growing community of peer educators
Time - 1:00 pm Pacific | 2:00 pm Mountain | 3:00 pm Central | 4:00 pm Eastern
Duration - 1 hour
Format - Online web presentation via Adobe Connect web conference software with questions and discussion. To join the webinar, please visit: http://serc.adobeconnect.com/matlab/ and follow the prompts.
Registration - Registration is closed for this event.
Preparation - There is no advance preparation required for this webinar.
Please email Alice Newman (anewman AT carleton.edu) if you have any questions about this event.
Lisa Kempler, MATLAB Community Strategist, MathWorks
Andrew Fischer, Institute for Marine and Antarctic Studies, University of Tasmania
Charly Bank, Earth Sciences, University of Toronto
Jackie Caplan-Auerbach, Geology, Western Washington University
1) Welcome and Introductions
2) Introduction to the site and resources – Lisa
3) Common challenges of teaching quant skills
4) Teaching activities that address these challenges
- Visualizing outcrop patterns from strike/dip data using MATLAB – Charly
- Working with Scientific Data Sets in MATLAB: An Exploration of Ocean Color and Sea Surface Temperature – Andrew
- Signal processing and earthquake triggering – Jackie
6) Main takeaways and upcoming opportunities – Lisa
7) Webinar Evaluation
- Slideshow for the webinar: Teaching with Data and MATLAB webinar slideshow 2016 (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 25.2MB Apr28 16)
- Tools for Teaching with Data, Simulations, and Models
- Teaching with Data, Simulations, and Models using MATLAB
- About MATLAB®
- Teaching Geoscience with MATLAB:
- Teaching Activity Collection
- Visualizing outcrop patterns from strike/dip data using MATLAB
- Working with Scientific Data Sets in Matlab: An Exploration of Ocean Color and Sea Surface Temperature
- Signal processing and earthquake triggering
- Course Descriptions
- Teaching approaches:
This webinar is sponsored by