Microbiology in Jeopardy
This material is replicated on a number of sites as part of the SERC Pedagogic Service Project
This is classroom review in the style of the gameshow "Jeopardy" for use in a microbiology course for allied health students offered at our university. The game is set up as a Power Point presentation with hyperlinks to make it progress like the real jeopardy game. Although the questions for this particular version cover metabolism and diseases of the skin and respiratory system, they can be easily modified by the instructor to apply the the material to be reviewed. This game was used during a review period before a major test. Students enjoyed the competition between each other as well as the unique approach to reviewing for their exam. They also appreciated being able to review sample questions before the exam.
- This activity will help the students master and review the concepts of:
- Microbial metabolism of glucose (glycolysis, pentose phosphate pathway, etc.)
- Krebs Cycle
- Electron Transport
- Diseases of the skin
- Respiratory diseases.
- This activity will help the students understand how microorganisms metabolize carbohydrates to produce energy as well as how they cause diseases of the skin and respiratory system.
Context for Use
- This activity was used in an undergraduate microbiology course for allied health majors that is required for students applying to our nursing program. Questions have been modified so that they can be used in a similar course for biology majors.
- Since this is a review of metabolism and diseases of the skin and respiratory system, students are expected to have mastered these concepts before participating in the review.
- This activity is during a review period before a major exam on the subject matter of the activity.
Description and Teaching Materials
Teaching Notes and Tips
Instructor's Notes (PowerPoint 1.1MB Dec21 07)
Groups keep score of their performance during the game. The instructor can analyze group scores to determine if they have mastered the material.
References and Resources
Microbiology in Jeopardy Game (PowerPoint 1.5MB Dec21 07)