The Math You Need, When You Need It 2011:
A workshop for faculty teaching introductory geoscience
July 27-29, 2011, Highline Community College, Seattle, WA
The deadline for applications was April 8, 2011.
Implementation Plans associated with last year's workshop.
The workshop occurred in Seattle in the summer of 2011 to explore the flexibility afforded you by TMYN and to learn best practices for implementing TMYN into your own introductory geoscience course.
- providing a supportive learning environment for learning mathematical skills
- allowing students to complete modules on their own time and at their own pace
- requiring no extra classroom time to increase quantitative geoscience content in your course
The workshop began on Wednesday evening with a dinner and concluded at lunch on Friday. Participants in this workshop:
- learned about the inner workings of TMYN and the testing software
- interacted with successful implementers of TMYN
- modified course(s) to include appropriate online quantitative content
- designed an implementation unique to his/her course and institution
- created a web page with an implementation plan
- discussed student perceptions/fears of quantitative skills
- collaborated with other participants to improve TMYN effectiveness
Eric Baer, Highline Community College, Geology
Helen Burn, Highline Community College, Mathematics
Jennifer Wenner, University of Wisconsin Oshkosh, Geology
Workshop operational costs as well as room, board and reasonable travel costs for participants were covered by grants from the National Science Foundation [DUE-0920800 (Baer) and DUE-0920583 (Wenner)].
Logistics and Location
The workshop took place at Highline Community College, just south of Seattle, Washington. Sea-Tac Airport is just 3 miles from the conference hotel and meeting area, and a shuttle is available to all participants.
Workshop leaders convened on Wednesday, July 27 in the morning. Participants gathered by 5 p.m. on the 27th. The conference adjourned at 2:00 p.m. on Friday, July 29th.
Participant Selection Criteria
Workshop participants were chosen based on expressed interest in using The Math You Need resources and reflected a variety of institutions, introductory geoscience courses, student populations and geographic settings.
For more information
Contact the conveners, Eric Baer (ebaer 'at' highline.edu) or Jennifer Wenner (wenner 'at' uwosh.edu)