Dr. Cynthia Lawry-Berkins
The Lone Star College System
Cynthia Lawry-Berkins, PhD
Talented, visionary professional with extensive experience in working in environments which are largely controlled by frequent and ongoing deadlines which must be met in a timely fashion, ranging from startup to fortune 500 corporations. Expertise, in identifying viable options and communicating the strategy, risk issues and benefits of each to senior executives and non-technical stake holders. Proven ability to identify talented individuals and mentor them to create effective teams that achieve goals
Project management, Strategic planning, Strategy and implementation, Best Practices, Road maps, technology solutions, teambuilding and training, collection management exhibition & interpretation
Lone Star College Dec 2010 to Present
Physical Geology Professor
I Provide challenging course work, innovative projects and stimulating exercises while utilizing active learning techniques and hands on approach. Promote utilization of the latest technology and cultivate greater general education skills such as communications along with quantitative and critical thinking I Collaborate with colleagues to address course design and theoretical concepts to be covered for the year. Compile lesson plan; evaluate, and revise curricula, course content, and course materials and methods of instruction.
Blinn College Dec 2002 to Aug 2017
Adjunct Physical Geology Instructor
· Provides challenging course work, innovative projects and stimulating exercises while utilizing active learning techniques and hands on approach. Conducts lessons on the study of Earth, its resources, and evolutional development.
· Supports planning and management involving hazard, vulnerability, and capacity assessment techniques for the college and multi-stakeholders
· Facilitates initiatives for community participation through awareness, education, and training
· Provides support for the development and examination of policies and practices to shape the future of assessment procedures within Blinn College
· Conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in professional journals, books, or electronic media. Keep abreast of developments in the field of geology and teaching methods by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences.
· *Advise and supervise undergraduates in conducting research of environmental water quality. Advise students on academic and vocational curricula and on career issues.
· Collaborate with colleagues to effect student recruitment, registration, and placement.
· Serve on academic and administrative service learning committees that deal with institutional policies, departmental matters, and academic issues.
Fugro Geotechnical Lab Apr 2008 to May 2009
· Engineered geotechnics at Fugro for the Army Corps of Engineers for the Louisiana levee project
· Implemented testing of soils, using GeoTac and Sigma testing equipment
· Performed unconsolidated stress test of soils
· Working with triaxial CU and CD testing on soil samples from offshore and onshore, calculations,
· Conducting tests as, swell and one dimensional Consolidation, triaxil compression test (cu),uu, uc tests,Hydrometer,Analysis,Specificgravities,Atteburghlimits,unconfinedCompressive strength, moisture Density relationship, sieve analysis, compressive strength of cement (css) & proctors, and soil moisture-density relationship, pinhole test, crub test, following ASTM & TX DOT, methods.
• BS, Earth Science, Minor Physics at Texas A&M at Commerce
• MS, Earth Science, Minor Industrial Technology at Texas A&M at Commerce
*Thesis: Bioremediation in Oil Spill Cleanup
• PhD, Philosophy at Prairie View A&M University
Berkins, Cynthia. (2007). Curriculum Leadership: Curriculum for the at Risk Students, The Lamar Electronic Journal of Student Research: (ERIC Document Reproduction Service No. ED 498643).
Berkins, Cynthia. (2007). Curriculum Leadership: New Trends & Career and Technical Education, The Lamar Electronic Journal of Student Research: (ERIC Document Reproduction Service No. ED 498616).
• Poster presented at Research Association of Minority Professors (RAMP) Conference, 2007, Washington DC
• Poster presented at Society for Information Technology &Teacher Education (SITE) Conference, 2007, San Antonio, TX
• Poster presented at Elaine Rodney Conference, 2007, Prairie View A&M University
• Poster presented at the Texas A&M Symposium, 2006, College Station, TX
AWARDS AND RELATED ACADEMIC ACTIVITIES
• Blinn College Assessment Council member, 2009 - 2013
• Expanding Your Horizons Texas A&M Workshop, 2009-2013, Presenter
• Wakonse South Fellow, 2009-2012
• Service Learning Organizer, 2007 - 2012
• Texas Junior Science and Humanities Symposium, Judge, 2008
• Academic Excellence Award, 2006 - 2009
• Texas Junior Science and Humanities Symposium, Judge, 2006
• Texas A&M Regional Science Bowl, Judge, 2006
• Texas Junior Academy of Science, Judge, 2006
• Texas Science Olympiad, Judge, 2006
*Hardware: IBM AS400, IBM 43XX, DEC VAX, ALPHA 2100, RS6000, PERKIN ELMER 32XX, Novell, Netware, NTNX, LAN, WAN
*Software/Operating Systems: Open VMS, Windows NT 3.5 & 4.0, AutoCAD, Word Perfect, Microsoft Office, Mass 11, UNIX, Pathfinder, Scout, Inet, TCP/IP, 2780/3780 Emulation, Jams, SPSSX, and SNA-RJE