The NextGen-WA STEM Teacher Preparation Project is a statewide collaboration to improve the preparation of teachers in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math across Washington state
We are committed to systemic change to teacher preparation programs across Washington State, and are working to ensure that all students see a path to STEM teaching; our vision is a larger, more diverse, and more effective STEM teaching workforce.
We are working toward a future where all teachers:
- Understand and connect with diverse students, families and communities
- Incorporate Education for Sustainability, Computer Science, and Engineering principles in their teaching
- Regularly collaborate with colleagues in the creation of and advocacy for a connected, coherent, STEM program
- Approach curriculum through inter- or trans- disciplinary lenses; have the ability to work across disciplinary boundaries
- Incorporate, integrate, and model disciplinary practices, concepts and specific ideas (3-dimensional teaching)
- Have strong content and pedagogical content knowledge (PCK) in the subjects they teach
- Have had research and/or work experiences in at least one aspect of STEM
The NextGen-WA STEM Teacher Preparation Project coordinates the work of 8 Inter-Institutional Working Groups and several Institutional Implementation Teams working to build this future.
Working Groups collaborate around specific dimensions of Teacher Preparation, and prepare tools, resources, workshops and other means to support institutional transformation at their own, and others', institutions. Working Group members include faculty and administrators from public and private colleges throughout Washington; staff from government labs, industry and non-profits; and K-12 teachers and administrators. Working Group products are designed in collaboration with Implementation Teams.
Implementation Teams are centered at Teacher Preparation programs at colleges and universities. Many Implementation Team members also participate in Working Groups. Implementation Teams determine and implement the strategies that are appropriate to their specific contexts, measure and evaluate the impact of strategies, and make appropriate adjustments to implementation.
Click on images to enlarge: