Part 2—Download Weather Data
Step 1 – Navigate to the Weather Data
- Access the National Climatic Data Center website.
- In the menu area along the left side of the screen, under the heading Purchase, click Most Popular.
- On the new page that opens, notice in the first paragraph that this data is available for free if you connect to the NOAA website from a server that is in an edu, k12, gov, or mil domain. Scroll down to the section labeled Most Requested I. This data collection is labeled Surface Summary of the Day. At the left side of the section, click on the link that reads 1. 3200-3210/CDO. On the new page that opens, click the button with the text, Continue with SIMPLIFIED Options.
Step 2 – Choose the State, Weather Station, and Time Frame, and order the Data
Select Massachusetts from the State/Territory drop-down menu, and then click Continue. Select Boston Logan Intl Ap as the weather station, and click Continue. Select the date range for the year of 2000 and click Continue. This will open a new window where you can review your order, review the Inventory File, and click the Inventory Review box. Finally, enter your email address and click Submit Request.
Note: If you do not have the option to order data from NOAA free of charge, you can still download the data for this chapter for free, courtesy of NCDC. Use the links to the data at the bottom of this page.
Step 3 – Downloading Free Weather Data (See Step 4 for Purchasing Weather Data)
Once you have submitted your request for weather data, a new web page will open to confirm your order. It will also have a link to your data. The data may not be available immediately, but it should be available within a matter of minutes. You will receive email notification when the data is available.
- When you click on the link to download the weather data, a new screen will open with links to four data sets. (You will receive these same four links in the notification email.) The top two links (Web Form and ASCII File) link to the data you need.
- Use control-click (Mac) or right-click (PC) to download the Web Form and ASCII File data to your computer. Save the Web Form as Weather_2000.html. Save the ASCII File as Weather_2000.txt. Save the files to a location where you can easily find them, such as your Desktop or Documents folder.
Step 4 – Purchasing Weather Data from NOAA
- If you need to purchase the data, you'll see a button with the text Add to Shopping Cart.
- When you click the button to add the the data to your shopping cart, the message below, informing you about the need to accept cookies on your computer, will open. Accept the cookie.
- Once you click Continue, you will advance through a lengthy series of forms in which you:
- view the order and the fee and click Proceed to Checkout (or possibly Shop for more products),
- agree to provide your email address and a password,
- enter your email address and password,
- complete an application, and
- acknowledge that your order has been placed.
- At this point, the steps for downloading the data are same as described in Step 3, above. Save the files to a location where you can easily find them, such as your Desktop or Documents folder.