Antitrust: Current theory and current issues
Russell Pittman, Director of Economic Research, Antitrust Division, US Department of JusticeFriday, October 5, 2012
Time - 10:00 am Pacific | 11:00 am Mountain | 12:00 pm Central | 1:00 pm Eastern
Duration - 1 hour. The presentation is 30 minutes, followed by 30 minutes of discussion.
Format - Online web presentation via phone and Blackboard Collaborate web conference software with questions and answers following.
Jump Down To: Resources from the Webinar | Discussion on Antitrust Issues
Watch the Screencast (MP4 Video 127.7MB Oct12 12) of the webinar.
Download the presentation (PowerPoint 2MB Oct5 12).
About the Presenter: Russell Pittman is Director of Economic Research, Antitrust Division, U.S. Department of Justice. He is co-author of "The Proposed Merger of AT&T and T-Mobile: Are There Unexhausted Scale Economies in U.S. Mobile Telephony?"and "Consumer Surplus as the Appropriate Standard for Antitrust Enforcement." Russell served on the Core Team of the World Development Report, Building Institutions for Markets and he consults regularly with antitrust enforcers and economic reformers in transition and developing economies, most recently with the Federal Antimonopoly Service in Russia, and railroad restructuring projects in Brazil, China, and Poland.
Webinar Overview: Join Russell Pittman for a discussion of current thinking on antitrust enforcement. How can we update our principles courses to address new theory and new issues?
Resources from the Webinar
- Li, Y. and R.W. Pittman (2012). The Proposed Merger of AT&T and T-Mobile: Are There Unexhausted Scale Economies in U.S. Mobile Telephony? Available at SSRN: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2046129
- Kwoka, Jr., J.E. and J.L. White. (2008). The Antitrust Revolution:Economics, Competition, and Policy, 5th Edition. Oxford University Press
- Brennan, T.J. (1987). Why regulated firms should be kept out of unregulated markets: understanding the divestiture in United States v. AT&T. 32 Antitrust Bull. 741
- Pittman, R. (2003). Vertical Restructuring (or Not) of the Infrastructure Sectors of Transition Economics. Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, v3, n1-2, p5-26.
- Newberry, D.M. (2002). Privatization, Restructuring, and Regulation of Network Utilities. The MIT PRess, 484 p.
Discussion on Antitrust Issues
Russell Pittman has graciously volunteered to continue answering questions about this topic after the webinar. If you would like to ask a question of him or the rest of the webinar participants, please use the discussion board below. (You will need to create a free SERC account in order to start a thread or make a post.)
October 2012 Econ2YC Webinar Discussions Notify me of new posts for all of the discussions below»
|id||Thread||Posts||Most Recent Posting|