Part 5 - Analyze and interpret your resultsIts time to put it all together!
- Based on your observatios in the western United States, rank the following volcanic landforms in order of increasing size: lava dome, stratovolcano, shield, and cinder cone.
- How does the size of the shield volcano in this exercise compare to the shield volcanoes in Hawaii?
- Which volcano type has the greatest variation in magma composition?
- Based on your observations of the ten volcanoes, which rock types are associated with the following volcano types?–lava dome, stratovolcano, shield, cinder cone, caldera
- Contrast the sizes and shapes of individual lava flows that you observed associated with the lava domes and cinder cone in this exercise.
- Based on your observations recorded on your data table, is there a basis for linking aspects of volcano morphology with magma composition? What is the reason why magmas of different composition form different types of landforms? (hint: the answer is provided earlier in this exercise)
- How might you improve on what you just did in this exercise to better study the link between magma composition and volcano morphology? List three things you would do differently.