- Creating Value through Innovation Biotechnology in Mining. This industrial reference page describes the role of microbes and biotechnology in mining. The page includes the following topics: what is bioleaching, why use... (more info)
- Heavy Metal Mining Using Microbes. This 29-page journal article is a review of heavy metal mining using microbes. It details the history of biomining, general characteristics of biomining microbes... (more info)
- Microbial Leaching of Metals. This 16-page book chapter details microbial leaching of metals. Sections include an introduction, terminology, historical background, principles of microbial metal... (more info)
- The Little Workers of the Mining Industry. This biotechnology reference site describes the role of microbes in the mining industry. Written in textbook format, the site includes sections about ( This site may be offline. )
- The Role of Micro-Organisms in Acid Rock Drainage. This reference site explains the role of microbes in acid rock drainage. Topics include the sulfur cycle, the role of microorganisms in the sulfur cycle, natural oxidation... (more info)
Rio Tinto: The Rio Tinto is an extremely acidic river in southern Spain. Enduring over 5000 years of mining activity, the river is full of heavy metals. Surprisingly, phylogenetic studies show the diversity of eukaryotes to be much greater than that of prokaryotes.
For more information about Microbial Mining, search the Microbial Life collection.