Center for Research and Engagement in Science and Mathematics Education (CRESME)
The Center is an interdisciplinary research-based unit where fundamental issues related to STEM education will be examined, discussed and analyzed.
Curriculum and Instruction, Purdue University-Main Campus
Profile submitted by Carla C. Johnson
Vision and Goals
The Center for Research and Engagement in Science and Mathematics Education (CRESME) is a joint effort of the College of Education and College of Science at Purdue University, re-launched in 2012 to meet the regional, national, and global challenges in STEM education of the 21st century. The Center is an interdisciplinary research-based unit where fundamental issues related to STEM education will be examined, discussed and analyzed. Focus areas of research include:
- Student learning and achievement in STEM;
- Teacher learning across the professional continuum for teaching integrated STEM; and
- State and national level policy and public support of integrated STEM teaching and learning.
- Provide leadership in and conduct research on STEM education that coalesces around ideas about how people learn science and mathematics through the integration of engineering and technology design.
- Create and support a systematic infrastructure for research that will drive STEM education reform in K-16 education and teacher professional development programming.
- Develop synergies between research in STEM fields and integrated STEM education/teacher education
- Lead advocacy efforts with state and national stakeholders to inform policy and increase public support of K-16 STEM teaching and learning.
- Disseminate empirically based research and position papers on STEM education.
- Engage in development of tools to facilitate the implementation of integrated STEM education.
- Support Purdue integrated STEM teacher education initiatives.
- Serve as an interdisciplinary hub for connecting faculty to develop research-rich experiences for pre-service and in-service teachers to deepen and enhance STEM pedagogical content knowledge.
- Develop and sustain a network of partner school districts that support, encourage, and engage in the implementation of integrated STEM initiatives.
The Center for Research and Engagement in Science and Mathematics Education (CRESME) is a joint effort of the College of Education and College of Science at Purdue University. Internal and External collaboration is expected. The Center is run by faculty (Director and Associate Director). There is one .50 secretary assigned to the Center as well.
Description of Programming
Integrated STEM Teacher Endorsement under development
Successes and Impacts
Center is just now re-launching so no impact data yet.
Elements Contributing to Success
Dedication of faculty lines, administrative support, campus culture supportive of STEM, university funding for faculty lines.